Today I am Provide Current Affairs News of Current Affairs Today 23rd January 2020. Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates, those that are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and everyone other competitive exams can use this and check out the Current Affairs Quiz to check your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Cabinet approves over Rs 4300 cr to determine permanent campuses for brand spanking new NITs
- Union Cabinet on approved to Revised Cost Estimates for the establishment of permanent campuses of latest National Institutes of Technology, NITs, at a complete cost of 90 crore rupees for the amount till 2021-2022.
- NITs were established within the year 2009 and began working from the school year 2010-2011 in their temporary campus with very limited space and infrastructure. These NITs are going to be fully functional from their permanent campuses by 31st March 2022.
- It also approved the extension of tenure of the Commission constituted under Article 340 of the Constitution, to look at the difficulty of sub-categorization within Other Backward Classes within the Central List.
- Briefing media in New Delhi, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar stated, the tenure has been extended by six months till 31st July 2020.
- Cabinet has also granted approval to the addition of Term of regard to the prevailing ToR of the Commission which includes studying various Entries within the Central List of OBCs and recommending correction of any repetitions, ambiguities, inconsistencies, and errors of spelling or transition.
- Mr. Javadekar stated Daman, are going to be the capital of newly carved out Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.
Nation pays homage to Subhas Chandra Bose on his 123rd birth anniversary
Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his 123rd birth anniversary on 23rd January. A variety of functions are organized across the country to mark the occasion. In West Bengal, Governor Jaghdeep Dhankhar can pay floral tribute at the statue of Netaji in
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee can pay homage at a function in Darjeeling.
State Government is organizing Subhash Utsav in each block of the state. People from all works of life are visiting the house of Netaji in South Kolkata since early morning to pay their homage to the good hero of the liberty movement. Netaji Research Bureau has also organized programs in Kolkata on the occasion.
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu paid tributes to Netaji on his birth anniversary.
Cabinet gives approval to EC to enter into MoU with Election Commissions of Tunisia and Papua New Guinea
- The Cabinet gave approval to the committee of India to enter into MoU with the Independent High Authority for Elections of Tunisia and therefore the Papua New Guinea Electoral Commission for elections for cooperation within the field of electoral management and administration.
- The Cabinet also gave its nod for the four agreements between India and Brazil within the field of oil and gas, Geology and natural resource, mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters and cooperation within the field of infancy care.
About Tunisia :
- Capital: Tunis
- Currency: Tunisian dinar
- President: Kais Saied
About Papua New Guinea :
- Capital: Port Moresby
- Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
- Prime Minister: James Marape
Cabinet committee approves the closure of Hindustan Fluorocarbons plant in Telangana
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA approved shutting down the operations of the plant and unit of Hindustan Fluorocarbons Limited, HFL and closure of the corporation.
- HFL may be a Central Public Sector Enterprise under the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals. HFL has just one plant located at Rudraram, District Sangareddy in Telangana.
- The government granted an interest-free loan of over 77 crore rupees to HFL for expenditure exclusively on closure.
SAIL launches scheme for employee-led philanthropic activities
- Minister of Petroleum and gas & Steel Dharmendra Pradhan launched a scheme by SAIL for Voluntary Philanthropist Activities (VPA) by its employees.
- The scheme called “SAIL Employee Rendering Voluntarism and Initiatives for Community Engagement (SERVICE)” will promote and facilitate philanthropist activities by the workers during a structured manner. A portal for the workers to register for the scheme was also launched.
- The dedicated interactive “SAIL SERVICE” portal for implementation of this scheme shall act as a platform for enabling faster interaction and communication amongst the varied stakeholders. It shall eventually be developed as a repository of data management during this regard.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Anil Kumar Chaudhary
- Founded: 19 January 1954
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
UK Parliament ratifies Brexit divorce law
- After years of acrimonious debate, British lawmakers finally approved the terms of their country’s historic departure from the ECU Union. MPs within the lower House of Commons had already backed the EU Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which ratifies the divorce deal that Prime Minister Boris Johnson struck with Brussels last year.
- But the unelected upper House of Lords made some changes in the week, including on the rights of EU citizens and child refugees after
- In a series of votes, the Commons — where Johnson’s Conservatives have an outsized majority — rejected all five amendments and sent the bill back to the Lords, who then reluctantly agreed to backtrack.
- The Bill is now awaiting royal assent by Queen Elizabeth for its formal ratification, paving the way for Britain to go away the EU on January 31.
- The European Parliament still has got to back the deal during a vote but its approval in London may be a historic moment, as Britain edges closer to becoming the primary country to go away the 28-member EU.
Aurobindo Ashram School building constructed with India’s assistance inaugurated in Nepal
- The Charge d’ Affairs of Embassy of India in Nepal, Dr. Ajay Kumar ceremonially inaugurated the new building of Aurobindo Ashram School in Thankot, Kathmandu. Director-General, Department of Urban Development and Building Construction of Nepal, Mani Ram Gelal alongside political and community leaders also attended the program.
- The new infrastructure is made with the govt of India’s grant assistance of 25 million Nepali rupees. The three-story building comprises eleven classrooms, three labs, four storerooms, two staff rooms. Besides rooms for accounts, administration, record, library, and principal, it also has an examination and multi-purpose hall.
- The newly built infrastructure is predicted to spice up the learning environment of the scholars. The government of India is happy to be related to the project which complements the effort of the state of Nepal in augmenting infrastructure within the field of education.
About Nepal :
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Prime minister: KP Sharma Oli
WHO meeting underway to make a decision about declaring coronavirus outbreak “An emergency”
- A meeting of the planet Health Organisation is now ongoing in Geneva to think about declaring the outbreak of coronavirus in China, an emergency. The UN body will decide if the outbreak may be a matter of international concern.
- The meeting is vital because the WHO thinks immediate and coordinated international action could also be needed to contain the viral infection. If the outbreak is said an emergency, the UN body may advise countries to require tighter quarantine measures.
- In China, 9 people have died of corona viral infection and therefore the infection has spread to many cities including Wuhan, Beijing and
- The virus causes illnesses starting from cold to acute respiratory syndromes. a complete of 440 cases of pneumonia caused by the virus has been reported in China, Thailand, Japan, and South Korea.
- India has already issued a travel warning. Several countries have also started screening travelers from China to detect symptoms of syndromes.
Recent news associated with WHO:
- Tuberculosis: India renames its program; WHO endorses India developed tech-TrueNAt MTB
- WHO releases Global Health Challenges for 2020
- In the honor of 200th birth anniversary of Nightingale, the planet Health Organization designated the year 2020 because of the “Year of Nurse and Midwives”
- IIT-H fellow launches Vaccination On Wheels together with Gates Foundation
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Government approves model pact with foreign countries for seafarers’ competency certificate
- The government stated it’s approved a model pact with foreign countries for recognition of seafarers’ competency certificates.
- The decision was taken at a gathering of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- This will pave the way for mutual recognition of maritime education and training of seafarers by the countries involved.
- The proposed bilateral MoU will enable India and another country with which such an MoU could also be entered, to mutually recognize maritime education and training, certificates of competency, endorsements, documentary evidence of coaching and medical fitness certificates, issued to the seafarers who are citizens of respective countries the Shipping Ministry stated during a statement.
ICICI Bank Introduces Cardless Cash Withdrawal Facility Through ATMs, Per Day Limit at Rs 20K
- ICICI Bank launched a cardless cash withdrawal facility from its ATMs with a per-day transaction limit of Rs 20,000.
- This service enables customers to withdraw cash from over 15,000 ATMs of the bank by simply raising an invitation on iMobile, its mobile banking application.”It may be a simple and convenient thanks to withdrawing cash without employing an open-end credit.
- The service is often used for self-withdrawal when customers don’t wish to hold the open-end credit.
- The bank’s consolidated total assets stood at Rs 12,88,190 crore on September 30, 2019. it’s present across 15 countries.
- CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founder: Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India
- Tagline: Hum hai na/Khayal Apka
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Japan’s NTT to take a position Rs 11,000 crore in data centers in India
- Japanese tech major NTT stated a big part of its USD 7 billion global commitment for data centers business would be spent in India over the subsequent four years.
- The company also feels that there’ll be margin compression issues for the info centers business in India as capacity supply goes up alongside a rise in competition, NTT’s country chief executive for global data centers and cloud infrastructure, Sharad Sanghi.
- In the previous couple of months, a string of corporates, including the Adani Group, Hiranandanis, and Reliance Industries have announced investments in data centers, on the rear of regulatory moves like data sovereignty which makes it incumbent upon financial institutions to deal with their data locally.
- India is that the fastest-growing region for NTT and a considerable amount of the USD 7 billion commitment are going to be invested.
About Japan :
- Prime minister: Shinzo abe
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
GDP to grow at 5.5 percent in FY21: India Ratings
- India’s GDP is predicted to grow at 5 percent in FY21 as against the estimated 5 percent in FY20, consistent with India Ratings and Research.
- The anticipated rise is going to be on the rear of strong policy push including demand revival, adding that though some improvement is probably going next fiscal, the risk is getting to persist.
- Stating that the slowdown was thanks to a mixture of things including an abrupt and significant fall in NBFCs’ and bank lending, reduced income growth and savings of households and rising debt.
- A strong policy push including some work (even if this needs using the escape clause as suggested by the FRBM Review Committee headed by N K Singh) by the govt is required to revive the domestic demand cycle and catapult the economy back to a high growth phase stated Sunil Sinha, economist, India Ratings.
- The shortfall in revenue collections could prompt fiscal deficit to slide to six percent of GDP in FY20, even after accounting for the excess transferred by RBI. consistent with the rating firm, a continuance of low GDP growth even in FY21 means subdued tax income and limited room for stepping up expenditure.
PhonePe launches digital ATM, users can withdraw cash from merchant shops
- As digital payment platforms thrive, Walmart-owned PhonePe has now launched its own cash machine Machine (ATM), a primary of its kind service in India.
- The service launched on a pilot basis in Delhi NCR will enable people to urge cash from merchant partners through transactions with their mobile devices. the corporation said that the service will enable neighborhood stores to act as ATMs for PhonePe users.
- The PhonePe ATM allows customers to withdraw cash with none hassle through our trusted merchant partners. It also helps merchants avoid the effort of storing cash and making multiple trips to the bank branch to deposit their extra cash,
- With this new launch, PhonePe, which competes with Paytm, Amazon Pay and Google Pay, it’s promoting a service that solves a true consumer problem. Now, a customer in need of money can simply open the PhonePe app, attend the shop tab and click on on the PhonePe ATM icon to locate nearby shops offering this facility.
- Once they reach the closest shop, customers just got to click on the withdraw button and transfer the specified amount to the merchant via the PhonePe app. Once the quantity is transferred, the merchant will give the customer the cash adequate to the quantity transferred.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Maharashtra government makes it compulsory for college students to read the Preamble to the Constitution
- The Maharashtra government ordered that faculty students across the state must recite the Preamble to the Indian Constitution, during their morning assemblies.
- Reading out the Preamble is a component of the “sovereignty of Constitution, the welfare of all”
- Students will recite the Preamble to the Constitution a day after morning prayers in order that they understand its importance. it’s an old government resolution, but we’ll implement it from January 26.
- Capital City- Mumbai
- Chief Minister- Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor- Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Uttarakhand becomes Delaware to implement agricultural land leasing policy
- Uttarakhand has become the primary state within the country where the govt has made a policy to lease agricultural land.
- Under this leasing policy, rather than giving land on a 30-year lease, the concerned farmer will get the rent for the land.
- In the hilly areas of the state, the obstacles of leasing land for farming, agriculture, horticulture, herbs, off-season vegetables, milk production, tea plantation, fruit hybridization, and solar power has been removed with this step.
- Now any institution, company, firm or NGO can take farmland on lease in villages, leasing a maximum of 30 acres of land on lease for 30 years.
- The government has made this policy within the wake of difficulties within the consolidation of land.
- Capital City- Dehradun
- Chief Minister- Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor- Baby Rani Maurya
Jaipur Literature Festival to start.
- Jaipur Literature Festival will begin with about 500 speakers of various fields are participating within the festival, which is currently in its 13th year. The five-day event will see quite 200 sessions and can be attended by 500 speakers from 20 countries.
- Out of them, 120 are award-winning speakers. The festival will have a variety of speakers including Nobelist Abhijit Banerjee, Booker award-winning British novelist Howard Jacobson and Auther Elizabeth Gilbert.
- 37 sessions are going to be held the primary day, which incorporates speakers like Nandita Das, Subha Mudgal, Prasoon Joshi, et al.
- The broad themes of the festival this point include climate, constitution, poetry, and AI Police has made special arrangements of security and traffic around the venue of the festival and walled city.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ACQUISITION AND MERGERS
Adani Capital acquires Essel Finance’s MSME loan business
- Adani Capital Pvt Ltd, the NBFC arm of the Adani Group, has acquired Essel Finance’s MSME loan business.
- Adani Capital stated it’s a loan book of roughly Rs 145 crore. As of New Year’s Eve, 2019 the general lending book of NBFC and therefore the housing finance business was Rs 1,100 crore, with the latter contributing Rs 150 crore.
- The gross NPAs as of New Year’s Eve, 2019 stood at just Rs 2.4 crore, it added.
- Adani Capital maybe a 100 percent subsidiary of Adani Finserve Private Limited, the company of Adani Group’s financial services business.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou elected first woman president of Greece
- Greece’s parliament elected the primary woman president within the country’s history, a senior judge with expertise in environmental and constitutional law.
- A cross-party majority of 261 MPs voted in favor of 63-year-old Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou, parliament chief Costas Tassoulas
- Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou has been elected president of the republic.
- The new president, so far the top of Greece’s top administrative court, the Council of State, will take her oath of office on March 13.
About Greece :
- President: Prokopis Pavlopoulos
- Capital: Athens
- Currency: Euro
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
National Bravery Awards: 49 children receive Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020 to 49 children at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar is given under the revamped award scheme of the Ministry of girls and Child Development, Government of India.
- Eleven-year-old Aparna Chandrasekaran was awarded the Pradhan Mantri Bal Shakti Puraskar 2020 for her achievement within the innovation category.
- She also represented India at ASEAN INDIA PUSPITEK INNOVATION FESTIVAL held in Indonesia where she has conferred the Young Innovator Award at Jakarta.
- The Bal Shakti Puraskar is given by the govt of India per annum to acknowledge exceptional achievements of youngsters in various fields i.e., innovation, scholastic achievements, welfare work, arts & culture, sports, and bravado.
- Bal Shakti Puraskar carries a medal, a cash prize of Rs 1, 00, 000, one tablet, a certificate, and a citation. These children will participate within the Republic Day parade on 26.1.2020.
- The awardees were chosen by the National Selection Committee under the Chairpersonship of Smriti Irani, Minister of girls and Child Development.
TNAU V-C gets Harit Ratna Award
- N Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, has been conferred ‘Harit Ratna Award 2019’ by the All India Agricultural Students Association for the dissemination of ₹30-crore entrepreneurship project in agri-business and for motivating students to the agriculture sector within the State.
The award was conferred at the 5th National Youth Convention at Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya in Raipur recently.